Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Was early Islam spread by force?

Offline Mubashir

• View Profile
Was early Islam spread by force?
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:08:12 PM »
Salam Dear All

We read: [2:190] AND FIGHT in God's cause against those who wage war against you, but do not commit aggression - for, verily, God does not love aggressors.

If above is the rule, then how can we explain the early expansion of Islam by the righteous caliphs? Were they threatened and responded? Were they invited by oppressed people to free them of their misery by getting rid of tyranny? Was it a preemptive strike? Were they attacked and the attackers ended up losing power and territory? Some claim lands of certain kings were invaded because they refused to respond positively to letter of the blessed Messenger inviting them to Islam.

There are some Muslims who believe the Muslims, when they have sufficient power are to conquer the rest of the world and impose Islamic justice and system. They are, therefore, accused of being double talkers. They are accused of talking peace only when they are weak but as soon as they have the might and the means, they will wage a war.

Thanks.

Offline Adil Husain

• View Profile
Re: Was early Islam spread by force?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:55:20 AM »
May peace be with you.
Dear Mubashir ,
It is clear from the Quran that it took about 40 days (if not less) for the companions of prophet Moses to forget his teachings and return to the path of idolatory and unrighteousness.
Why it can not happen with companions of prophet Muhammad ?
Quran never mentions the name of any Khalifa or whether they will remain righteous or not.
I think all we can do is judge according to the scripture without being much judgemental on Khalifas and the history which reached us.

God know best.

Regards ,
Adil
'I must strive for reformation of myself and the world'

Offline Duster

• View Profile
Re: Was early Islam spread by force?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 01:45:51 AM »
Shalom / Peace.

I'd agree with Adil's response too. I reckon there must have been a mix of everything. War etc can often be very complex. good and bad, greed, honesty etc on all sides. Only Allah knows what happened and who is right or wrong. I am sure there are verses which tell us not to delve on the histories of past people and their circumstances.I think there is a lot of wisdom in that.