Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Allahu Akbar VS Allahi Akbaru

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Allahu Akbar VS Allahi Akbaru
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
In one of the other Forums it was mentioned that the word "Allahu Akbar" is not in Quran. I was astonished as Allahu Akbar is used in Azan and we start our Salath with Allahu Akbar and tell on every movement of Salath. But when I searched in Quran I found that it is written as "Allahi Akbaru" I do know why this Quranic Allahi Akbaru is expressed as Allahu Akbar. Participants  of this Forum may kindly throw light on this. Thanks
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Allahu Akbar VS Allahi Akbaru
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 04:32:37 AM »
Dear Sardar,

As-salam alaykum

Please kindly note that you have already asked a similar question on this forum before.

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=651.0

Language is simply a communication tool to convey human sentiment.  After all, what is God's language who understands the communication of all His creation throughout the Universe?

Ultimately, it is the 'intention' of the meaning behind a word which is most important not what is uttered through the vocal chords itself.

If one would rather say 'God is great' in English, or 'Shàngdì shì wěidà de' in Chinese or 'Dio è grande' in Italian, then I see no reason why one cannot do so.

Does one really think it is viable to assert that it really matters to God what expression we use to communicate our inner sentiments to Him in His worship?

Ultimately, 'Allahu Akbar' or any such similar expression is not a name but a sentiment of a comparative nature that recognises God is greater / greatest in power and might than anything in His creation.

'Akbar' can mean 'greater' (a comparative adjective) or 'greatest' (Superlative adjective) depending on the context it is used in. For example, Prophet Abraham made use of the 'comparative adjective' (this is greater - hadha akbaru 6:78) at a particular moment in time when he thought that the sun was the greatest object worthy of worship after he had given up ascribing Deity to the moon. (6:77)

Although he made use of the comparative adjective, at that moment the implication was arguably one of a superlative adjective (greatest) as He knew nothing greater worthy of worship (i.e. the best). Until of course, he realised that the sun also set (6:78) and abandoned that belief on similar grounds.

Therefore, a comparative / superlative adjective (such as akbar - greater or greatest) can be deemed to express the extreme or highest form of a particular quality of any entity. It is simply an expression.

In other words, nothing can compare with God in His ‘absolute’ sense.

For example, we plan, but God is the best planner (3:54). We create, but God is the best Creator (23:14). In essence, all these sentiments are comparative implying God's ultimate supremacy in a superlative sense.

No one prays to 'Allahu Akbar', they pray to ‘Allah’. Therefore, any argument that presupposes the need to define this as a name or solicit proof for it in the Quran is unwarranted in my humble opinion.

I am already aware than some feel strongly about this topic and this was noted in the thread I have already shared.  Therefore with respect, I would prefer not to revisit this topic again personally.

May I also kindly request that you do not duplicate threads which you have already initiated on this forum before but add to existing ones if you wish to continue the topic.

I hope this helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 06:10:44 AM »
Salam JAI Sorry for posting the thread once again. I am 80 years old & apt to forget things.Thanks for reminding & explaining.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:04:07 AM »
Dear brother Sardar,

MashAllah!

I (and I'm sure many others) can only but pray to have a life and intellectual awareness as sharp and intact by your age as you have been truly blessed with.

May God bless you with many more years of fruitful life and intellectual cognition dear brother.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the reminder. I fully understand and I will keep this in mind for the future.

Your brother in faith,
Joseph   :)
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »
Thank you very much my most revered & beloved brother in faith for wishing good for me. I have not seen you or your photograph but I have immense appreciation & regard for you. MY Allah help you in helping & enlightening Muslim Brotherhood. Thanks