Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Prophet was sent to 'Teach'. Is this not Hadith?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
The Prophet was sent to 'Teach'. Is this not Hadith?
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:16:31 AM »
Dear Brother Joseph

I was wondering if i could trouble you with some questions on the Quran?

As you will be aware from previous emails, I now follow the one true message from Muhamad, the Quran.

However, there are a couple of verses, which I would like to understand better And, I find that these verses are sometimes used by Bukhari & Co followers to 'justify' other books then Quran.

One of the Verse are 62.2  (there is also another one very silmilar to this but i cannot remember the chapter/verses)

In this verse (62.2) God talks about (amongst other things) that the ;messenger was sent to Teach then the books and Wisdom  

We know form Quran 55.2 that it is GOD who teaches Quran and the messengers job was to 'proclaim and deliver the message'.....

So how are we meant to understand the words Teach (and maybe wisdom) in this verse?

Is this a contradiction? Against 55.2 and others? Is it a mistranslation? Yusuf Ali does not seem to use the word 'teach' , I would be very grateful if you could shed some light on this, for me & those who use this verse to justify other books.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: The Prophet was sent to 'Teach'. Is this not Hadith?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
Peace brother ...

'Teach' is a very broad term which, as you know, can mean to impart knowledge, to explain something and to basically give 'ilm'. Of course, the verses had to be taught by a Prophet, knowledge which was given to him by God (75:16-18). He made use of wisdom by upholding the Quranic verses and applying them in his present context with a view to address his specific societal requirements. This wisdom was only taught by God.  But to say that these 'teachings' have been faithfully preserved in the works of men, centuries removed from source, mouth to mouth is a completely different matter.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that it is God that teaches. He taught the Prophet wisdom (hikmah) from the same Book that you have in your hands today. God can teach wisdom via that same Book today, if He so wills, to whomsoever He pleases.

In verse 3:79, God tells us what Prophets of God would have told their followers to teach. This is not a reference to extra books or anything written by man centuries later. The verse clearly answers the question and informs one that the only thing a Prophet will ask you to teach is scripture. Of course, wisdom can only be extracted from those verses. Many Hadith reports have nothing to do with the 'wisdom' from the Quran.

003:079
"It is not (possible) for any human being to whom God had given the Scripture and wisdom and the prophethood that he should afterwards have said to mankind: Be slaves of me instead of God; but (what he said was): Be worshippers of the Lord by virtue of your constant teaching (Arabic: tu'allimuna) of the Scripture and of your constant study of it"

With regards whether Wisdom is Sunnah, I hope you find the following article to answer your question  :)

http://quransmessage.com/articles/hikmah%20FM3.htm

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Joseph

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell