Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Multiple Questions for Brother Joseph

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Multiple Questions for Brother Joseph
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:43:43 AM »
Salamun Alikum,

Please consider few questions. Your thoughts would be helpful but no rush. Sorry if questions are repetitive or I missed while reading your article.

Question 1:
“2:168, 'O ye people! Eat of what is on earth, Lawful (halalan) and good (tayyiban)'.
The word used is 'tayyiban' (good) but it also says 'halal' (lawful). The Quran states categorically in the Quran what is 'halal' and what isn't”. 
I read your article, always very logical and reasonable.
I think Quran provides enough detail of Lawful (Halalan) but regarding Good (Tayyiban); it allows some permission what you feel comfortable with based on observation. For example human nature in normal circumstances repels consumption of insects, frog, crocodile etc.
I wonder if my thoughts are reasonable

Question 2:
005:005: "...and the food of those who were given the Book is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them..."
The verse above sounds like establishing a channel to come close and get chance to deliver true message of Islam. If it is restricting, then this question comes to mind, what about the food of Indians/Chines. Quran mentions messengers were sent to every nation but does not provides specific details about their scriptures.

Question 3:
Regarding salah there is much information in Quran and in your article you explored it very well. One of the requirements is “time specificity or performing at proper time as given in quran”. However, is there any verse/command that addresses permission for “Qaza salah” (If you missed the right time of salah you can later offer that salah with the intention of Qaza). There are verses related to expiation of acts, I wonder if any of those verses directly/indirectly suggests that it is OK to compensate salah by offering at another time.

Question 4:
I heard many times that “Adopting child is not encouraged. If it is Male, he becomes Na-mehram for “mother” and if it is female, after reaching maturity she becomes Na-mehram for “father”. However some people consider it as a charity and not a problem.
Would like to know your thoughts.

Question 5:
After divorce if kids are young enough (~9-11 yr). Do they have free will to live with either father or mother? In case if they chose to live with mother. Islam encourages father to take care of their needs until they become independent.

Thank you
May God make you more beneficial for the people and spreading Islam.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Multiple Questions for Brother Joseph
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:49:34 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam

Please see my responses below:

Response 1:

It is noteworthy that there exist items of food within the category of general permissibility (halal) such as fruits, sea-food etc which are injurious or poisonous to humans. We must be careful to steer clear of such food. Just because a category is halal (e.g. sea-food) doesn’t mean that we can eat anything even if it is detrimental to humans. I would find the word 'tayyib' providing sufficient coverage for such a scenario.

Response 2:

Verse 5:5 only applies to those righteous people of the Book that followed their own scriptures without transgressing and also believed in the truth of the Quran. Otherwise, telling the People of the Book who did not believe in the Quran that it was lawful for them to eat the food of believers would make no sense.

That is why marriage was allowed between only those of the People of the book that were 'muh-sanat' (Please see verse 5:5 - …and the chaste women (Arabic: muh-sanatu) from among the believers and the chaste women (Arabic: muh-sanatu) from among those who have been given the Book before you (are lawful for you)).

This was arguably not a reference to those Jews or Christians that blasphemed God or ridiculed the prophet.

"And there are, certainly, among the People of the Book (Arabic: Ahli-l-kitabi), those who believe in God, in the revelation to you, and in the revelation to them, bowing in humility to God: They will not sell the Signs of God for a miserable gain! For them is a reward with their Lord, and God is swift in account"

This is clearly a two-tier system where plurality is recognised. The people who believe in the final revelation are still being referred to as the People of the Book (Ahli-l-kitabi)

"And when they listen to the revelation received by the Messenger, you will see their eyes overflowing with tears, for they recognise the truth: they pray: "Our Lord! we believe; write us down among the witnesses"

028.052-53
“Those to whom We sent the Book before this, they do believe in this (revelation). And when it is recited to them, they say: "We believe in it, for it is the Truth from our Lord: indeed we have been Muslims from before this"”

Response 3:

No, there is no expiation guidance given for missing prayers. However, the Quran does instruct believers to guard their prayers (2:238) and expects believers to do the best they can in matters of religion (istata'a - 64:16). I would personally find praying extra supplementary rakats for any missed prayers a better position. One is always best placed to err on the side of caution and there is only something to gain with offering more worship to God with intent.

Response 4:

Please see article below:

IS ADOPTION FORBIDDEN IN ISLAM?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/adoption%20FM3.htm

Response 5:

Arguably, If a child is not at marriageable age (4:6), where they can independently take control of their lives and property, they wold arguably not be deemed wholly 'independent' in the strictest sense. Whoever takes custody of the child, the Quran encourages mutual consultation generally in the interests of the children ("...and consult with them (Arabic: washawir'hum) in the matter. And when you have decided, then put thy trust in God. Indeed! God loves those who put their trust (in Him)"3:159)

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell