Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What was the reason behind revealation of Ayah 33:52

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
What was the reason behind revealation of Ayah 33:52
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:36:28 AM »
It is not lawful for you (to marry other) women after this, nor to change them for other wives even though their beauty attracts you, except those (captives or slaves) whom your right hand possesses. And Allah is Ever a Watcher over all things. S. 33:52
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: What was the reason behind revealation of Ayah 33:52
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
Dear Sardar,

As-salamu alaykum

I have already shared my humble perspectives with you on the same question you asked nearly 8 months ago.

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1485.msg6783#msg6783

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:57:51 PM »
Thank you Bro JAI for clarification but the facts remains that the Prophet had more than four wives at a given time. I have read the dates of prophets marriages which gives indication that he had more than four wives. As per 33:52 Allah says "it is not lawful" which clearly means four wives. How can we
reconcile with what was the number of wives wheather restricted to four or more ?
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »
Dear brother Sardar,

As-salamu alaykum

Please see my responses in red italics to your comments / questions below:

Thank you Bro JAI for clarification but the facts remains that the Prophet had more than four wives at a given time. This is not a fact from the Quran. The Prophet could have had less than or more than 4 wives. The Quran does not intend to confirm. From a Quranic perspective, this information does not appear to be a matter for religious guidance for believers.

I have read the dates of prophets marriages which gives indication that he had more than four wives. You appear to be primarily making use of Islamic secondary sources to interpret the Quran. There are no dates in the Quran. With respect, this is a dangerous approach. I would humbly suggest you source your primary interpretation from the Quran foremost.

As per 33:52 Allah says "it is not lawful" which clearly means four wives. Not at all. All we can conclude from this statement is that this prohibition was given to the prophet at a certain point in his ministry. There is no mention of 4 wives.

How can we reconcile with what was the number of wives wheather restricted to four or more ? With respect, this question does not even arise if the Quran is primarily used as the source of interpretation. I humble posit that your difficulty in thought has arisen because  you have assumed / inferred much and used secondary sources for interpretation.

I hope this helps. God willing.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell