Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Shortening of Obligatory Prayers

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Shortening of Obligatory Prayers
« on: March 17, 2013, 08:48:39 AM »
Salam All. As per Allah's order a Muslim has to shorten his obligatory prayers when is traveling. I see some brothers shorten their obligatory prayers but pray the Sunna in full. I was amazed and ask when Allah permitted you to shorten the prayers why do you pray Sunna & Nafil ? They say Allah has permitted but not the Prophet.I request brothers to enlighten me on this. Thanks
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Shortening of Obligatory Prayers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:12:40 AM »
Dear Sardar,

May peace be with you.

My view on this matter is shared in the article below:

http://quransmessage.com/articles/shortening%20of%20prayers%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.  :)

PS:

I request brothers to enlighten me on this. Thanks

There are very knowledgeable sisters on this forum too  ;)
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline islamist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:18:28 AM »
They say Allah has permitted but not the Prophet.
:)

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »
Salam Bro Joseph What I understand from your reply is there is no need of Shortening of prayers when one travels away from his location but only when there is fear of any danger from non believers. Is that right? Thanks

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »
Salam Bro Joseph What I understand from your reply is there is no need of Shortening of prayers when one travels away from his location but only when there is fear of any danger from non believers. Is that right? Thanks

Ws. Yes, that is my humble view from what I understand from a Quranic perspective.

Prayer is only shortened if there is danger or fear. Although verse 4:101 specifies the 'type' of danger, verses 2.238-239 do not. Therefore, 2:238-39 can be interpreted as any general fear and not simply from disbelievers.

One more deeper point to note is that the Arabic 'khawf' is different from 'khashiya'. Both are usually translated into English as 'fear'. Verse 2:239 uses the Arabic verb 'khafa' (khawf) which has a generalised import and denotes a fear which may or may not have a sound basis on which the fear is based. For example, a fear that someone may attack you (4:101), fearing poverty, fearing heights, fearing lightening (13:12), fearing darkness, fearing what someone may do after you die (19:5) etc, are examples of 'khawf' which may or may not have a sound basis for the fear. [1]

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.

REFERENCE:

[1] TWO VERBS TO DESCRIBE 'FEAR' (KHASHIYA & KHAFA) - THE DIFFERENCE
http://quransmessage.com/articles/fear%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »
Thanks.I am sorry to disturb you again. I don't know as to why most of the Muslims around us Shorten their prayers when they are more than 40 Miles away from their home. Where did they get this directive ?

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »
Thanks.I am sorry to disturb you again. I don't know as to why most of the Muslims around us Shorten their prayers when they are more than 40 Miles away from their home. Where did they get this directive ?

Obviously not from the Quran dear brother. The roots are from the Islamic secondary sources and within the development of Islamic jurisprudence. Peace.
George Orwell

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »
Thank you very much brother. Alas !!! The beliefs of Muslims  are more based on Secondary Source rather than Quran.