Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: A somewhat personal question for Brother Joseph

Offline HopeSeeker

• View Profile
A somewhat personal question for Brother Joseph
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:36:44 AM »
I understand and appreciate your desire and need for being anonymous and hopefully the questions will be general and not dig too deep.

First of all I want to say that I live in a country where religious disinterest or blind following has become prevalent. No one cares or wants to learn. Even my parents who of whom pray , fast, give zakat also have chosen to just follow what the clerics tell them to do and consider the knowing the Arabic more important than knowing the meaning of the verses of the Quran. The few attempts i have made to discuss my different views with them, I have been quickly shut down and told I don't know enough to talk about it and that the Clerics are far more knowledgeable than I ever could be. My Friends are more willing to listen but show the same disinterest I myself had suffered from.

My questions are brother, is there any hope ? Am I even obligated to try to convince people of what I find to be the Truth? Have you been able to convince the people around you? Have you managed to create or find a community of like minded people? Have you managed to convince your family and friends and those around you, and if so, can you give me some advice on how to approach others about it? I just wish to know if change in a community is possible or if I should just mind my own business and just follow what I believe is right.I do really  worry about my people but a part of me also just wants to satisfy my confirmation bias.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: A somewhat personal question for Brother Joseph
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:04 AM »
Assalam HopeSeeker, I can not follow as what do you need? Just tell us as to what exactly you want so that one can help you. Thanks
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline HopeSeeker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:02:48 PM »
Ah now that I read it it seems a lot like a rant. What I mostly want to know, is that has the Quran-centric approach been adopted by any community, and if so, how was it brought about, because it seems very hard to change peoples views.

Offline zara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:46:13 PM »
Assalamu alaikum hopeseeker,
I think your question is a very good one.For me,I don't think I have enough knowledge yet to convince anyone but,I am studying everyday.My only worry is that so far,I still do not know if there is an obligation for me to share my newfound knowledge or not.