Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Do women say Salah during menstruation ?

Offline Beyond Tradition

• View Profile
Do women say Salah during menstruation ?
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:41:57 PM »
Dear Brother Joseph
Salamun Alaikum . I have gone through your thread that women can fast during menstruation if not feel sick .
But I did not find if women can say Salah at this time . Please make me clear .

Offline Athman

• View Profile
Re: Do women say Salah during menstruation ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »
As salaam alaikum,

Dear ‘Beyond Tradition,’

Kindly see below my view on the matter of your concern. I trust Br. Joseph won't mind my contribution. Hopefully he shall respond where necessary.

To start with, Allah has inscribed on Himself mercy (6:54) and thus none can claim to be more empathetic to the menstruating ladies than Him.

Yet Allah did not exempt menstruating women from ‘prayers’ but exempted them from being approached for intimacy in 2:222. Allah does not err nor forget (20:52).

And they ask you about menstruation. Say, ‘It is harm, so keep away from wives during menstruation. And do not approach them until they are pure. And when they have purified themselves, then come to them from where Allah has ordained for you. Indeed, Allah loves those who are constantly repentant and loves those who purify themselves.’” (Qur’an, Al-Baqarah 2:222)

Prayer is an obligation prescribed for all believers at fixed times/ periods (4:103) despite gender or status.

...Indeed, prayer has been upon the believers a DECREE of specified times.” (Qur’an, An-Nisa 4:103)

Furthermore, in light of 4:103 prayers should strictly be observed/ maintained at all times within their fixed periods even in the acute states of fear for safety/ insecure (2:239).

Maintain with care the prayers and (in particular) the middle prayer and stand before Allah, devoutly obedient. And if you are in fear, then on foot or riding. But when you are secure, then remember Allah, as He has taught you that which you did not know.” (Qur’an, Al-Baqarah 2:238-239)

Even in the state of stark fear of danger when travelling, prayers are maintained though shortening is provided for (4:101).

And when you travel throughout the land, there is no blame upon you for shortening the prayer, if you fear that those who disbelieve may harm you...” (Qur’an, An-Nisa 4:101)

It is thus inconceivable to insinuate that Allah would have forgotten the extent of ‘adha’ (harm, filth, hurt) in 2:222 not to mention exemption from ‘prayers’ anywhere in the Qur’an especially when such instances of danger are noted elsewhere (4:101, 2:239). Allah does not run out of words (31:27) and His Qur’an is fully detailed - ‘mufassalan/ fussilat’ for purposes of necessary guidance (6:114, 41:3).

And if whatever trees upon the earth were pens and the sea (was ink), replenished thereafter by seven seas, the words of Allah would not be exhausted. Indeed, Allah is exalted in Might and Wise.” (Qur’an, Luqman 31:27)

See a thread [1] below where Br. Joseph has responded to a similar query (praying and fasting at ago).

Regards,
Athman.

REFERENCE:
[1]. Can Women Pray and Fast During Menstruation?

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=163.0

Offline Beyond Tradition

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:44:57 PM »
Dear Brother Athman
Salamun Alaikum . You have well explained the matter and I am clear now  . May Allah Bless you.
Thank you so much .

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?

Offline Athman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 03:24:58 PM »
Dear Wakas,

As-salaamu ‘alaikum,

In the main, in light of the following verse 6 of Suratul Ma’idah, I do resonate your general view as cited below from the link [2] you share in the thread referenced [1].

...Allah does not intend to make difficulty (harajin) for you, but He intends to purify (liyuthwahira) you and complete his favour (waliyutimma ni’matahu) upon you that you may be grateful.” (Qur’an, Al-Ma’idah 5:6)

My personal view is it is not prohibited, and it is upto the women to choose if it applies to them. For example each woman will experience menses differently, for some it is a minor annoyance, for others it can be significantly problematic. This subjectivity is also in the ablution verses, e.g. it is the person doing ablution to determine which state (and to what degree) applies to them.[2]

Note: Black bold highlights are mine to emphasize relevance to my areas of interest/ concern

Regards,
Athman.

REFERENCES:
[1]. Salah in Jewish culture

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1799.msg9592#msg9592
[2]. Women: what is not allowed during menstruation
https://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2e42e89faf685a637cba2cfce523780b&topic=9608512.0